Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Help Me Identify My Love Language



If you are not familiar with Gary Chapman’s book The Five Love Languages  (how we best express and receive love),  here is a list of them, with my comments after each.

I was wondering, can you help me figure out which one of the five is my love language?


1. Physical touch: The last time Dave gave me a shoulder massage, I got annoyed and asked him to quit.

2. Gifts: This may be my secondary love language, as I've already purchased a Valentines' gift (3 weeks early) for Dave. However, I may have nibbled at it a bit.

3. Quality time: Do movies count?

4. Acts of service: What, your husband doesn't do the dishes?

5. Words of affirmation: Like when readers comment on my blog posts and Facebook status? Like when they “like” me? Like if Dave says something beyond “I love you,” such as “You’re a great mom” or “I really like the subtle nutmeg flavor you added to these muffins” or “thanks for being a wonderful wife” or “you look hot in that dress?” And if no one makes the effort to give me a thumbs up on my Moroccan lentil soup or haircut I get depressed and mutter “the heck with the world and I hate everybody," and then I consider packing my bags and going on a road and boat trip to Baffin Island, where there is likely no internet and no email and no possibility that I’ll open my inbox to find no compliments and no facebook notifications!!!!!!

Tell me, shrink. Which might my love language be?

Which is yours?


(On a more serious note, I'm finding that the more I grow as a person--the more I allow God to teach me to love more fully-- I am becoming "multi-lingual" in regard to the love languages.  I'm a much better giver. I make it a point to hug and kiss my kids several times per day. I seek out ways to spend quality time with them. And I realize that the only words of affirmation I really need are from God. "...A person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people." Romans 2:20 NLT)

3 comments:

Kate said...

Words, like yours. Maybe that's why I'm a little addicted to Twitter and Facebook, and enjoy giving people encouraging words and verses.

The secondary one is quality time....just being in the same room as people is nice, doing our work or a puzzle or something...we don't even need to say anything.

I only love gifts if they are meaningful (and preferably hand-made) and come with an explanation of why they were given. "I saw it and immediately thought of you!"

I love hugs from the little kids that I teach, but from adults it can be weird. Don't give me a foot massage, I'm very ticklish.

I love doing things for others if I know it will make things easier for them, but I'd rather people didn't help me...unless I know that they LOVE it. And even then it's weird.

Sharon said...

I found this book especially helpful as a parent. It helped me better understand the individual needs of my children :)

Canada said...

This book explains love in e way that every person can understand, relate to, and apply in thier life. This book is a very easy read and very well worth it!